Friday, January 29, 2016

Continuing Camper Trailer Renovations....

My life is completely consumed by my camper trailer/new home renovation at the moment. Mom is doing great at her new teaching job at Ft. Stewart, GA. I am moving along, but have had some bad days where I thought I had made a very bad decision is deciding to do this and felt completely overwhelmed and wanted to just strap some C4 to it and blow it in place. But as most should know by now I am not a quiter. I am receiving amazing support from my family and couldn't do this without them. I have also received amazing support from a new friend and battle buddy, John Worthington. He drove 6 hours to come and help me, two different weekends. He framed in and installed a new/used door and refrigerator, ran new gas lines, connected my electricity and has been an amazing on-call carpentry/fix-it extraordinaire.

I knew there was going to be some work involved in this project, but did not know that it would be quite as much as it has been. But as I am learning, renovation projects are full of Pandora's Boxes. What you think will be a quick and easy fix quickly turns into a borderline catastrophe.

The first 2 pictures are of of one of these Pandora's Boxes I have encountered. Once I removed the torn up covering and insulation on the bottom of the camper I found 3 areas of serious rot which had to be removed and replaced with new bracing and boards, right wheel well, left wheel well and under sink area and rear bottom bracing. The area under the sink I had to remove and the side of the camper open so I could remove and replace it all.

You can also see my Grandma Farnham helping me by scrubbing all of the windows.

The picture of the door is the beautiful new/used door my friend John Worthington framed in and installed. I was able to get the door from by uncle who has an old camper trailer he is demolishing to make a flat-bed trailer. My cousin Kevin used aluminum polish to make a smiley face and show me how nice the door will look once I polish the whole thing.

Another picture of Grandma working on scrubbing down the outside of the trailer.

The following pictures are of the inside with insulation and vapor barrier installed. 


I also got the wall on the back side of the bathroom installed. 

In the kitchen area I also replaced and got working the exterior vent fan over the stove...whoohoo.

I ordered and installed a new LP Gas 2-stage auto transfer regulator and now the stove and heater work...whoohoo.

Lovely blue flames on my stove.

My Uncle Steve has given me the metal box shown sitting behind the camper. My cousin Kevin is going to weld it and a rack for my spare tire on the back bumper. The box will be my "garage" and hold my generator and tools.

Paneling leaned up against the outside of the camper.

And lastly, the first of the paneling installed. I have 2/3 of the ceiling paneling installed, 4 4x8 sheets, and it has been quite the adventure cutting and installing it by myself, but I am making it happen.

That is all for now...I still have a pretty big to-do list, but I am taking things on fix-it at a time. I need to have this done by 5 Feb, so I might have to pull some longs days, but I will get it!!

Happy Trails!!


1 comment:

  1. First of all I have to say your Grandma is awesome for helping you out, and second of all, I praise you for all the hard work you have put in because it looks amazing! You have inspired me not to quit and I am now itching to renovate my camper van too. I love your posts and cannot wait to see the ultimate finished version!

    Helene Raymond @ Trade Squad